Format: Book (+ optional .pdf eBook on CD) or Switch to downloadable .pdf eBook
Written by Sarah Tuck, a former agency representative, Supervisory Litigation Consultant, and Director of Civil Rights, Federal Supervisor’s Guide to Workplace Disability and Accommodations provides Federal supervisors and managers, personnel specialists, and EEO counselors insight into what the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is expecting from managers and the agency in today’s world--in practical terms. The book gives readers an understanding of what the terminology of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act (ADAAA) really mean, with examples of real life scenarios that managers often face, as well as thorough discussion of a manager’s and employee’s responsibilities when disabilities are raised.
This deskbook is a practical resource designed to help managers on the front line of supervising employees with disabilities, and includes overviews, in common sense terms, of the components of the applicable laws, and other guidance, to include, but not limited to:
- Impairments Under the ADAAA—including physical and mental impairments
- Major Life Activities—defined with examples
- Identify Essential Functions
- Recognize Requests for Reasonable Accommodation
- Learn how to Engage in the Interactive Process
- Learn how to Explore Possible Accommodation Options
- Understand Why Trying to Find Ways to Say "No" Is Not Advisable
- Learn why Good Faith Efforts to Accommodate Matter
- Distinguish Between a Qualified Individual with a Disability and Undue Hardship
- Learn how OWCP Cases and Disability Law Intersects
- Deal with Questions from Others About Their Coworker’s Health.
- Learn Helpful Phrases to Use in Uncomfortable Situations
- Deal with Misconduct or Poor Performance
- Related forms of Discrimination—including disparate treatment, hostile work environment, reprisal, prohibited medical exams and inquiries, safeguarding medical information, and reprisal.
The book includes a list of resources useful to federal managers and others using this handbook.
Also includes a detailed table of contents.