ISBN: 978-1-941825-26-6; 1-941825-26-5
Availability: IN-STOCK (released 9/30/16)
Samples: Table of Contents ------- Text Sample ------- About eBooks & License Agreement
Format: PDF ebook download with optional CD/USB backups or softcover book, or click here for the softcover only
Written by Carl Bosland, a long time advocate, arbitrator, lecturer and author on federal labor arbitration and arbitration advocacy, this easy-to-understand, yet comprehensive handbook on the labor arbitration process provides advocates, both union and management, with practical guidance and best practices to effectively prepare and present their case to a neutral arbitrator. After an overview of the arbitration process, chapters are organized to follow the sequence of the arbitration process, from prehearing investigation through posthearing appeals of the award.
Labor Arbitration Practice for the Federal Sector also includes extensive strategies, tactics, tips, and pitfalls to avoid on topics including:
- Advocate Selection, Case Investigation and Evaluation—including contract research, interviewing potential witnesses, and interview tips
- Arbitrator Selection—including collective bargaining agreement procedures and the qualities of an ideal arbitrator
- Case Preparation—including case strategy and case sequencing
- Prehearing Practice—arranging for the hearing, challenges to arbitrability, motions in limine and discovery disputes
- Witness Selection And Preparation
- Hearing Day Preliminaries—including procedural issues
- Opening Statements—including how to prepare and present an effective opening statement
- Making Your Record—including rules of evidence, fundamentals of contract interpretation, and burdens of proof
- Witness Testimony
- Direct Examination—including effective direct examination techniques
- Cross-Examination—including effective cross-examination techniques and impeachment
- Effective Use Of Exhibits—including how to offer an exhibit and objections to exhibits
- Closing Arguments—including preparation and execution of effective closing arguments
- Post-Award Practice—including remedies, motions, challenging awards, and FLRA exceptions to arbitration awards
Also included are a detailed table of contents and bibliography.
Also available as a .pdf file on a CD-ROM or as an ebook for instant download.