A Guide for the New Federal Supervisor
Save 40% on both The First Four Weeks and Guide to Ethics, Rules, and Responsibilities.
Use the drop down box to select the discount.
Availability: IN-STOCK (released 4/02/13)
Samples: Table of Contents ------- Text Sample
Format: Book (+ optional .pdf eBook on CD) or Switch to downloadable .pdf eBook
The First Four Weeks: A Guide for the New Federal Supervisor offers guidance for the newly promoted or selected federal supervisor through the most important time in his or her new job—the first four weeks. Written by one of America’s leading authors of books on supervision in the federal civil, the book guides new supervisors on how to determine priorities, create the right structure, negotiate performance expectations, set the right tone, and establish credibility with both higher management and subordinates.
Designed for federal managers and supervisors, The First Four Weeks guides readers through:
- What Makes Federal Employees Tick—including discussion of why people work, the motivational environment, what does not motive employees and how to create the right working environment
- The Mental Preparation—including how to think like a supervisor and learning the art and the science of management
- Negotiating With Your Manager—including how to take the lead, negotiate objectives, agree on priorities, and discuss resources
- Starting Out Right With Your New Employees—including not trying to change what cannot be changed, avoiding prejudgments, setting the tone and balance, and creating or redefining the relationship with subordinates
- Defining the Jobs of Subordinates—including assigning duties and motivational factors, delegation, and organizational problems
- Setting Performance Expectations—including the principles, steps, and types of goal setting
- Setting Rules—including discussion of the federal supervisor’s authority to set rules and what rules to set
- Managing Time—including the principles of managing subordinates’ time and managing your own time
Also included are a detailed table of contents.