Disciplining Federal Employees (.pdf download)
Table of Contents
Format: PDF ebook download with optional CD/USB backups or softcover book, or
click here for the softcover only
Written by Michael Corum, one of Dewey’s most beloved authors and an expert on dealing with problem employees in the federal civil service, Disciplining Federal Employees is an updated and expanded version of his best seller Taking Disciplinary Actions.
This text educates federal supervisors and managers on the philosophy, structure, and detail of administering discipline in the federal service. Disciplining Federal Employees begins by leading supervisors through the four sequential decisions they must make in any disciplinary action. The book then describes how to apply these decisions to the most common disciplinary situations. The two extremes of preventive measures to keep good employees honest and winning tactics for firing the worst employees complete this text. “Good case examples” are provided at the end of each chapter to help bring each chapter’s lesson into focus.
Federal supervisors and managers rely on Disciplining Federal Employees for advice on topics including:
- The Law of the Workplace—including management and employee responsibilities to each other
- Disciplinary Offenses—including causation
- Formal and Informal Disciplinary Measures—including how to choose between them and discipline that should not be used
- Determining the Penalty—including penalty concepts and factors to consider in choosing a penalty
- Establishing the Facts—including types and weight of evidence and pre-action investigations
- Insubordination and Contentious Conduct—including definitions and defenses
- Alcohol and Drug Use—including how to deal with alcohol and drug use on the job, addiction, drug testing, and discipline
- Off-Duty Conduct—including discussion of nexus and criminal conduct
- Workplace Violence—including threats, intimidating behavior, disrespectful language, violence, and mental illness as it relates to the offenses
- Discipline for Performance Problems—including requirements for disciplinary action and when to use chapter 75 or chapter 43
- Protected Activities—including a list and discussion of protected activities and reprisal
- The Most Common Mistakes Committed by Agency Supervisors
- Preventive Steps to Wrong-Doing
- Firing Your Worst Employee—including how to identify the worst employee, how to fire them, and how to avoid hiring them in the first place
- Procedures and Administrative Details—including the procedures and paperwork of disciplinary actions
Also included are a detailed table of contents, introduction and conclusion.
Also available as a .pdf file on a CD-ROM or as an ebook for instant download.